The German Shepherd Dog of today continues to be a superlative companion dog and is the working dog of choice by many agencies. In North America the German Shepherd Dog is, by litter and individual dog registrations, one of the most popular and numerous breeds.
The breed is suitable for herding, police work, guiding the visually impaired, schutzhund, ring sport, search and rescue, drug and bomb detection and tracking to name a few. The German Shepherd Dog is also a natural guard dog, being territorial and protective.
- Daily Exercise to maintain physical and mental fitness.
- Not allowed to run free but confined to a fenced yard or a kennel run (never chain or tie the dog).
- Training is an essential part of responsible dog ownership, as well as establishing a strong bond between owner, trainer and dog.
Throughout the world are many organizations which promote the breed and host associated activities. Included is the Sieger show each year in Germany which is the largest show held for any breed in the world. The Sieger show attracts hundreds of thousands of people to witness this spectacle involving an entry of dogs in excess of one thousand.
In North America, similar systems exist although on a smaller scale. Many conformation shows are held each year as well as obedience trials, tracking trials, temperament tests, schutzhund trials, herding trials, agility events, french ring trials, police dog trials, and more.
The German Shepherd male stands 24 to 26 inches and weighs 80 to 95 pounds while the female stands 22 to 24 inches and weighs 70 to 80 pounds. The breed has a medium length, straight outer coat. Acceptable colours are sable, black and tan, bi-colour and all-black.
- Highly active indoors
- Hightly active outdoors
- Highly vigorous and energetic
- Highly consistent in behaviour
- Highly dominant to strange dogs
- Moderately dominant to familiar people
- Highly territorial
- Highly emotionally stable
- Highly sociable with children
- Low sociability with strangers
- High rate of learning
- High problem solving ability
- Highly protective